Thursday, April 25, 2013

Yi Zuo

Hosted Yi Zuo this week. She was the seminar speaker and talked about how dendritic spines form during learning tasks. I took away a few extra things from her talk -- one was that the spines stopped forming as much once the behavior had plateaued, kinda like perceptron learning rule (once you get it right stop changing). The other was that spine growth was present shortly after training, but there was no spine elimination. But, this was only true if the imaging was done immediately after -- imaging a day after then there was increased spine elimination to compensate for the growth. It just has to be something to do with sleep.

I actually had a really good time talking with her and learning about her life. I was very worried because she was quite Chinese and I was afraid it was going to be hard to communicate. But she was very talkative, maybe even too talkative, but I was happy because not too many awkward silences. I couldn't believe how energetic she was in general. I was exhausted and I was doing nothing for most of the day, she had talked to so many people: Mayford, Jim Connor, Lunch (Jeremy Biane, Tom Gillespie, ...), Zheng, Scanziani, Komiyama, the talk, dinner (andy, sam, adam, jeremy, heidi, kathleen). And then jeremy gave her a laptop talk about his data. Damn she was a trooper.


No comments:

Post a Comment